What are conversions?
Conversion tracking starts with you creating a conversion action in your Google Ads account. A conversion is an action (click, view, purchase, ..) of a visitor that is beneficial to your business.These are the 3 main types of conversion tracking on Google Ads:
- Website actions: Purchases, sign-ups, and other actions that customers complete on your website.
- Phone calls: Calls directly from your ads, to a phone number on your website, and clicks on a phone number on your mobile website.
- App actions: Installs or sales occurring in one of your mobile apps.
Why use conversions?
Conversion tracking shows you what keywords and ads deliver practical results for your business. Since we are now able to understand what type of marketing content gives you better results, our tool will be able to adopt a more elaborate strategy. Instaon will now start to optimize conversions, instead of other goals that are less accurate (like click rates).
How to set-up conversion tracking?
- To track actions on a website or app, you have to add a conversion tracking tag, or code snippet into your code. When a customer clicks on your ad from Google Search or selected Google Display Network sites, or when they view your video ad, a temporary cookie is placed on their computer or mobile device. When they complete the action you defined, our system recognizes the cookie (through the code snippet you added), and we record a conversion.
- To track phone calls from call extensions or call-only ads, you use a Google forwarding number to track when the call came from one of your ads, and to track details like call duration, call start and end time, and caller area code. Also, app downloads and in-app purchases from Google Play will automatically be recorded as conversions, and no tracking code is needed.
Once you’ve set up conversion tracking, you can see data on conversions for your campaigns, ad groups, ads, and keywords. Viewing this data in your reports can help you understand how your advertising helps you achieve important goals for your business.
Security and privacy for website tracking
Google’s security standards are strict. Only pages containing the Google conversion tag are tracked through this program. Google uses data encryption and secure servers.Please ensure you’re providing users with clear and comprehensive information about the data you collect on your websites, and getting consent for that collection where legally required.